Before we were married Rob & I made the decision to home school our kids. Well actually it was more like this: Rob let me know that when/if we had kids they would not be going to public school & he liked the idea of homeschooling. So going into our marriage I knew where he stood but I was still holding out for Christian school, looking into the future when we would have kids & one day sending them off for school (and just maybe a few hours a day to myself).
The Lord slowly changed my heart about homeschooling. Christan school really was not an option financially. More importantly he really placed the desire to raise "homegrown children" in my heart and to raise our boys "in the discipline and instruction of the Lord" (Ephesian 6:4). The Lord changed my heart from wanting to have me time (well actually I still want me time, but you know what I mean) to wanting to raise God-fearing young men. Homeschooling accommodates these desires and the instruction God gives us in regards to our children.
There are many reasons parents choose home education (and I probably agree with most of them) but for us it was simply responding to the calling God put on our hearts.
Thursday, August 26, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
The "homegrown" idea came from a book I read when attending a Mom's group at my cousin's church. Thanks Kesch!
Home Court Advantage by Dr. Kevin Leman
(I don't think I ever finished this book, maybe it will be next on my reading list!)
Well you know I support you completely. I have lots of friends who have made this choice. Each year, including this one, i struggle with the idea of putting my girls back into the public schools... but have never been entirely at peace with the idea of homeschooling for us.
When i get back from vacay I'll send you a list of all my favorite and highly recommended resources that I've gathered from friends!
Thanks Kesch!
Post a Comment