Thursday, March 03, 2011

Heart Check!

I read two great blog posts today and they have me readjusting my thoughts & attitude!  One was written by a friend from church, a challenge to be purposeful in showing our husbands that they are a priority.  She wrote this post as a guest at Today's Housewife - check it out!  I appreciated her honesty and was encouraged by her desire to fulfill the role the Lord has given her.  (You might also enjoy Nicole's own blog of yummy recipes at Or Whatever You Do)

The other post I read challenged me to acknowledge blessings that I had mistaken for bills!  Instead of begrudgingly paying the bills I should be praising the Lord and thanking him!  The huge electric bills this winter?  Thank you Lord that we were warm & You have provided!  Gas prices going up and up and up?  Thank you Lord that we have cars and that we can go from place to place (and stay warm & dry in the process)! "Every single one of them (bills) is a gift. A gift of warmth, knowledge, healing, comfort or convenience." (from JOYS)

I have been reading so many great things lately, I am so thankful for the time the Lord has provided for it!  I just started Elizabeth Elliot's The Shaping of a Christian Family.  Recently read, Lysa TerKeurst's Made to Crave - timing of this book was perfect b/c Rob & I have given up sweets and Lysa's words were encouraging and challenged me to be healthy as a way to honor the Lord.  Another book I rediscovered was The Feasts of the Lord by Howard & Rosenthal, a great supplement to Bible study and understanding the pictures the Lord gives with Israel's feasts.

Kind of a random blog post...but oh, well!


 

2 comments:

Greg and Anita said...

So the bigger the electric bill, the bigger the blessing???? How is the sugar fast going???
I do read your blog :)

harts said...

That is definitely one way to look at it!

Not technically doing a sugar fast, just changing the way we eat! Sweets are still not part of our day and I am not baking like I used too. We will let the boys have sweets if we are at someone's house but other than that we are doing without! Now treats are just that a TREAT (and only once in a while).